Okay so I’ve decided to include a section that recaps my week of training and what I’ve learned about myself during the week! I’m going to do my best to make this a weekly thing – but I may be a little spotty once I start my racing season again.
Recap Of This Week
This week was another 100 mile week for me!!!! This is a big deal to me. I was always a low mileage runner in college. I never got over 70 miles a week and my average mileage was 45-50 miles a week. I was also running 5ks and 10ks – not marathons 🙂
Week of 11/25-12/1
Sunday 11/25: 2 hour and 20 minute long run
- How much ground did I cover? I don’t really know! My guess would be 18-19 miles. This run was purely time on feet (this means no accelerations or workouts!).
- Side note: I don’t run with GPS because I am way too type A for that. I know will stress myself out by listening to the mileage/pace on my GPS instead of my body.
- Total mileage for the day: 18-19
- Total mileage for the week: 18-19 (I’m going to call it 19!)
Monday 11/26: 10 mile single
- I was really sore for this run! It took me quite some time to cover 10 miles but that was okay with me (and completely expected). I take my easy days very easy so I am able to hit my workout days as hard as I can.
- Total mileage for the day: 10 miles
- Total mileage for the week: 29
Tuesday 11/27: Spilt run day
- I was still pretty sore from the previous 100 mile week and from starting this week off with a 19 mile run SO I decided to do my morning run on the Antigravity Treadmill. My split was 15 miles, so I decided to do 11 on the Alter-G at 88% of my body weight. I felt recovered by the afternoon and ran 5 on the ZAP loop (a 1/2 mile loop around the ZAP facility)
- Total mileage for the day: 16 miles
- Total mileage for the week: 45!
Wednesday 11/28: Workout day!!
- Today was a medium long run workout day. This workout would be 15 miles total, including warm up and cool down. For the workout I had a fartlek with half rest in between the pickup pieces (for example my 8 minute piece would have minutes rest). This was the workout I mentioned in this Instagram post. The thing I love about fartleks in general is that your pace is entirely up to you. You can go as easy (if you feel tired) or as hard as you want. Well, I was ready to bring my A game to this one. My longest interval (8 minutes) had a target of 6 minute pace per mile. I hit that easily and naturally progressed faster as the intervals got shorter. I finished feeling like I ran the best I could that day, and as runners we know that doesn’t happen all the time 🙂 I was also immediately sore after the workout and took my cool down at 10 minute/mile pace – this pace was verified by mile marks on the path.
- Total mileage for the day: 15 miles
- Total mileage for the week: 60
Thursday 11/29: Another split day
- After Wednesday’s workout I woke up incredibly sore so I opted to do my main run on the Alter-G. You can find out exactly why I use the G on recovery days here. I ran 11 miles at 88% of my body weight (just like Tuesday!) but this time at 8:27 pace for the entire 10 miles. I didn’t feel great after my run so I debated on doing a second run or just taking a long walk. I debated with myself all day BUT eventually decided to do a second run on the treadmill (it was dark by the time I made my decision!). I ran 5 miles at 8:34 pace and went to bed at 9.
- Total mileage for the day: 16 miles
- Total mileage for the week: 76! (already beating my college self)
Friday 11/30: My choice day
- Once a week we have “athlete choice” days. On these days we can listen to our body and decide what we want to run accordingly. I knew I had to get 100 miles in this week and I knew I already had 76 miles and I was going to get at least 13 tomorrow SO I had my heart set on an 11 mile single. Well, that didn’t happen. I ran for 50 minutes in the morning and realized there was no reason to push myself to run the full 11 miles in one run. I regrouped throughout the day and finished the miles I missed in the morning. That’s the beauty of these days!
- Total mileage for the day: 11 miles
- Total mileage for the week: 87 miles
Saturday 12/1: 15×300 with long warm up and cool down
- Okay so obviously I haven’t run this workout yet. I’m probably actually running it right now if you are reading this on Saturday morning! I’m going to Knoxville for my sister’s Christmas party later today and I knew I wouldn’t have time to get this out Saturday mid-morning since I would be driving. (* She is a grad student getting her PhD at the University of Tennessee & studies infant developmental psychology. Proud sister moment!) This workout is to get a little turnover in my legs and vary the pace for a long-ish run. Like I said, I haven’t run it yet but I am most likely in a lot of pain.
- Total mileage for the day: 13 miles
- Total mileage for the week: 100!! (Yes, I calculated this so it would be exact)
Okay that was a lot about me and my training. Here is the good stuff:
What I learned about myself this week (serious):
I could run 100 miles two weeks in a row! I would be tired but I learned that as long as I was being smart and listening to my body, I could push myself to a place I never thought I could.
What I learned about myself this week (not so serious):
I can go through an entire thing of dry shampoo in four days! I was very impressed by this. I will probably put this on my resume.
I find that with each week of training I really do learn something about myself that I didn’t know. It takes a
little lot of digging and reflection but it’s there!
- This leads me to my next question. What did you learn about yourself this week (serious and not so serious)? I always love hearing from other people (I mean that’s why the question & poll stickers on Instagram stories are my all time favorite inventions!). Comment below with your answers!
*** ALSO a side note!***
I am so so so excited! I am finally getting some features for my “five fast facts” section together! Be on the lookout for a five fast facts later next week!! ♡