This week I am super excited to have fellow Georgia native Shawanna White as my guest for Five Fast Facts!
I remember one of the first few times I met Shawanna. It was at a small race in Anderson, NC called Midnight Flight. The race didn’t start at midnight, but it started at 10 PM (which might as well be midnight for me!). I was pretty tired from driving, but I remember the positivity and excitement Shawanna brought to the people on the starting line with her. It really made me rethink my mindset in that moment, and her energy put me in a much better mood.
Shawanna is one of those people that seems like she can do it all and then some. She is an elementary school physical education teacher and travels to a race what seems like every weekend. On top of that, she is the 4th fastest (and fastest active!) African American born female in history. With 13 sub 3 hour marathons, Shawanna is also tied for the most sub 3 marathons for an African-American born female.
On top of all of her impressive achievements, Shawanna’s sponsors include popular running brands such as Skechers Performance, Zensah, Coca Elite, and On Your MarQ, Cora PT, and Massage Works By Sarah Allers.
Shawanna’s Instagram is exactly what every runner wants to see on their feed. It’s full of scenic runs, race recaps, motivation, and dancing. She’s incredibly active and engaging with her following. She is the perfect example of everything the running community stands for.
Five Fast Facts With Shawanna White
1. How did you get started running?
- Shawanna: I was encouraged to run by my high school coach who thought I just looked like a runner and so he invited me to join the track and cross-country teams.
2. Location of your favorite run you’ve ever been on.
- Shawanna: Chattahoochee River (Cochran Shoals) off of interstate 285 in Atlanta, GA. Some of my best workouts were ran on the 5k gravel loop. Also, it was the perfect spot for Sunday long runs with friends.
3. Favorite quote?
- Shawanna: Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without confidence. – Hellen Keller
4. Who is your role model?
- Shawanna: My role model is my grandparents. They were loving, respectful. hard workers who cared about others to the point where they offer their home to family and friends during hard times.
5. What is your favorite food?
- Shawanna: My favorite food is pizza. Spinach and mushrooms.
As I mentioned with my Five Fast Facts with Bart Yasso, the goal of my blog is to connect runners of all levels as well as highlight how special the running community is. I interview people that I think do a fantastic job of making the running community a special place full of positive energy and accessible individuals.
As you can tell from her answers, Shawanna does an amazing job at this. If you are lucky enough to run into Shawanna, I encourage you to take a few seconds to say hi and chat with her.